skip to main content


Telefónica has been going through a major organizational restructuring, with one of its most important changes being the splitting up of its Hispanoamérica unit into two geographical regions: Hispam Norte and Hispam Sur.


  • Telefónica's Hispanoamérica unit accounted for 24% of the group’s overall revenues in 2017, almost as much as its España unit.
  • Hispam Sur accounted for 65% of Telefónica's €12.6bn in Hispanoamérica revenues in 2017, while Hispam Norte contributed the remaining 35%.

Features and Benefits

  • Analyzes Telefónica's move to split its Hispanoamérica business on the basis of geography into Hispam Norte and Hispam Sur.
  • Provides an overview of Telefónica's position and performance in various markets under its Hispanoamérica unit.

Key questions answered

  • What are the challenges and opportunities for Telefónica in the various markets under its Hispam Norte and Hispam Sur business units?
  • How will Telefónica's move to split up its Hispanoamérica business strengthen its position in the region?

Table of contents

Ovum view

  • Summary
  • Splitting will allow dedicated focus
  • North and South have different market realities that demand specific measures


  • Further reading
  • Author