The South African TMT market is growing steadily, boosted by high demand for broadband connectivity and video content. Affordability, however, remains a challenge in a weakened economy.
- The number of mobile subscriptions in South Africa passed the 100 million mark in 3Q18, growing by 6% year on year. Across Africa, mobile subscriptions also increased by 6% over the same period.
Features and Benefits
- Explores key drivers behind South Africa's TMT growth.
- Assesses the strategies of key TMT players in South Africa.
Key questions answered
- How fast is South Africa migrating to new TMT technologies?
- How large will South African TMT segments grow in the next five years?
Table of contents
Service providers maintain growth despite adverse economic environment
Mobile subscriptions reach 100 million
LTE boosts broadband usage
LTE becomes the dominant fixed broadband technology
Rain plans country's first 5G network in 2019
Data tariffs still a concern
OTT video grows at the expense of premium pay-TV
DStv under pressure in the high-end segment
OTT bundling fully part of telcos' data strategy
Digital migration to be completed in 2019