Last year’s OFC write-up focused on the divergent flavors of PON for supporting 5G xHaul. The divergence in PON types continues, with this year's OFC write-up focusing on the readiness of the ecosystem along with initial test results and proposals by operators.
- The divergence in PON solutions for transport is putting a strain on the ecosystem, encompassing subcomponent vendors, optical module vendors, equipment vendors, and operators.
Features and Benefits
- Examines the various PON solutions being proposed for 5G xHaul.
- Assesses the impact of the divergent PON types on the ecosystem.
Key questions answered
- Which types of PON are being considered for wireless backhaul, midhaul, and fronthaul? What is leading to the divergence?
- What are the advantages of reusing the FTTH network for 5G xHaul?
- Which player in the ecosystem can push for convergence?
Table of contents
PON divergence after 10G is due to 5G xHaul complexities
Leading PON contenders for 5G transport
Impact of divergence on the ecosystem