This profile provides a deep dive on the IoT activities of North American IoT market leader AT&T, including go-to-market strategy, strengths and weaknesses, technology and platform developments, and vertical ecosystem leadership.
- AT&T is an IoT leader both in North America and globally. It takes a consistent standards-based approach to connectivity, and a future-facing attitude to network transition. The service provider offers enterprises a wide variety of IoT connectivity options, but has bet strongly on 4G/5G, and on LTE-M and NB-IoT for LPWAN deployment.
- AT&T is especially good at developing horizontal offerings above the connectivity layer of the IoT, notably the M2X data management platform and its Flow Designer device and service orchestration platform. Its horizontal asset management platform is also well thought out, and represents an approach that distinguishes it from other operators.
- AT&T has engaged deeply with certain key verticals, e.g., through the Drive connected car platform and DriveStudio, and through its Smart City framework and initiatives. These efforts have been further supported by innovation activities including its Foundry program, developer kits and broad developer ecosystem, and strength in partnering.
Features and Benefits
- Provides key KPIs, timeline, partnerships, and technology/IP strategies for AT&T's IoT business
- Evaluates AT&T's IoT go-to-market approach and provides a SWOT of overall IoT strategy
- Includes a detailed assessment of AT&T's approach to key vertical markets, as well as partners and customers
- Includes recommendations for AT&T, other service providers, and partners
Key questions answered
- What is AT&T's positioning in the IoT market and how does its strategy differ from those of peer competitors?
- What are the key elements of AT&T's technology strategy for IoT?
- Which major IoT verticals is AT&T targeting, how, and why?
- What investments and partnerships has AT&T committed to in the IoT sector?
- In which areas of IoT innovation is AT&T particularly strong?
Table of contents
Download 1: IoT Service Provider Strategy Profile: AT&T