This report analyzes the most important announcements Google made during and around its annual developer event, I/O, held on May 8–10, 2018.
- Google demonstrated real technical or commercial improvements in voice AI, the smart home, and video, but progress in the market will be held back by challenges all too familiar to the digital ad company.
Features and Benefits
- Identify strategies to counter or harness Google's moves to your advantage
- Learn what the most important launches Google made at I/O were and why
- Understand what impact each key announcement will have on the wider market
Key questions answered
- Which AI innovations will deliver real competitive advantage to Google?
- Is Google any closer to catching up with smart home leader Amazon?
- How tangible will Google's investments in augmented reality prove?
- What impact will YouTube's latest moves have on TV and digital music?
- Where will Google take its smart TV and pay-TV set-top box strategy next?
Table of contents
Google Assistant's voice interface: Practical tweaks and seeds of longer-term radical change
Google puts its house in order to better battle Amazon for the smart home
Google leaps ahead, but is hobbled by device fragmentation
Android P highlights Google's commitment to the mid- and low-end
YouTube renews efforts to succeed in premium TV and music
Pay-TV set-top boxes
Android TV looks to target tier-1 operators as tier-2 momentum grows
Smart TV devices
Google focuses on diversity and convergence with new Android TV product
Android Messages: Google's best – and last – chance for messaging success