This spreadsheet projects unit sales for eSIM-compatible smartphones, tablets, wearables, and other portable devices for the 2017–22 period. Forecasts are provided for major regional markets.
- Ovum expects the eSIM market to grow from 4.4 million to 148 million device unit sales between 2017 and 2022. Tablets and wearables such as the iPad Pro and Samsung Galaxy Gear smartwatches made up most of the sales of eSIM devices in 2017. However, the slow rollout of eSIM on smartphones is inhibiting eSIM growth.
- Smartphones will contribute to nearly two-thirds of all eSIM device shipments by 2022. However, less than 5% of smartphones sold globally in 2022 will be eSIM-compatible.
Features and Benefits
- Evaluates the size of the eSIM-compatible device market.
- Compares eSIM technology adoption across multiple device segments and regions.
Key questions answered
- How many smartphones sold will eSIM-compatible in the next five years?
- What is the share of wearables that will feature eSIM technology in the next five years?
Table of contents
Download 1: eSIM Device Sales Forecast: Smartphones, Tablets, and Wearables, 2017–22