This is an update of Egypt's telecoms market, covering mobile, fixed broadband, TV, operator initiatives, consumer market trends, and regulation. It includes subscriptions and revenue forecasts for mobile and fixed broadband.
- With almost 94 million mobile subscriptions and over 100% penetration at end-4Q18, subscription growth is becoming hard to achieve in Egypt, especially with rising costs of mobile phone services. There were over 6.6 million fixed broadband subscriptions in Egypt in 4Q18, with xDSL having a 99% share.
- Telecom Egypt launched its long-awaited mobile network, branded WE in 3Q17 making the Egyptian market a four-MNO environment, and intensifying price wars. Operators are considering how to develop their service to monetize consumer’s increasing appetite for data, and operators will look to retain or increase market share with multi-play strategies.
- In a market otherwise dominated by the monopolistic operator TE, the allocation of unified licenses in 2016 created a level playing field, wherein all four major operators can offer both fixed and mobile services. However, implementation is still underway, as operators partner with incumbent TE to create the right triple-/quad-play packages.
Features and Benefits
- Evaluates operator strategies in Egypt's highly competitive market.
- Identifies growth opportunities in Egypt's telecoms industry.
Key questions answered
- What are the current trends in Egypt's telecom market?
- What drivers will encourage growth in Egypt's telecoms sector over the next five years?
Table of contents
Service provider trends
Technology trends: The fixed market
Download 1: Egypt: Mobile, Broadband, TV, and OTT Video Report