This report analyzes the results of Ovum's Digital Consumer Insights 2018 consumer survey with a focus on the uptake and usage of ad-supported and free online video platforms, and the content and device preferences of AVOD viewers.
- AVOD/free video services are popular across all markets, with YouTube dominating. Of respondents, 87% use at least one AVOD platform once a month, with YouTube reaching 75% of respondents outside China per month. Across all countries, 58% of respondents use at least one broadcaster video-on-demand (BVOD) service on a monthly basis.
- BVOD struggles against YouTube and Facebook when it comes to daily reach. Although the number of respondents reached by at least one BVOD platform is similar to Facebook Video's 57% reach outside China, its 18% daily reach is much lower than YouTube's (40%) and Facebook's (36%), almost level with Instagram's recently launched IGTV (16%).
- Free access is a key factor for AVOD usage, but premium and exclusive content also important. Access to TV content and movies is more important than access to YouTube-native product reviews and tutorials, even for younger users.
Features and Benefits
- Identifies trends in AVOD usage by analyzing the responses of 6,211 consumers across Australia, Brazil, China, Germany, the UK, and the US.
- Assesses the impact and opportunities these trends pose to broadcasters, publishers, online video platform owners, telcos, and technology vendors.
- Evaluates attitudes toward advertising and new, hybrid approaches to online video monetization combining subscriptions and ads.
Key questions answered
- Why is free and ad-supported online video important to players across the TMT value chain?
- What are the most popular free and ad-supported online video platforms in each country, and how do they compare to other video services?
- How do AVOD usage trends differ by country and age group in terms of platforms and device usage?
- What are the most important video content types for monthly and daily AVOD, broadcaster video-on-demand (BVOD), YouTube, and Facebook Video users?
- What are the key drivers of AVOD usage?
Table of contents
Download 1: Digital Consumer Insights 2018: Ad-Supported and Free Online Video