This report covers 5G developments in Central America. There have been a handful of announcements on 5G in a few markets, and the first launches are expected to be in Costa Rica and El Salvador by 2021.
- Spectrum availability will dictate 5G launches. There have been no announcements of auctions of 5G-suitable spectrum in the region.
- FWA is the best use case for 5G in the short term. More advanced 5G use cases will take time to develop and deploy.
- Initially, 5G will exist as complementary technology to 4G. In Central America, 4G still has a lot of scope for growth, and when launched, 5G will exist as a complement to the existing 4G networks.
Features and Benefits
- Provides an overview on 5G developments and possibilities in Central America.
- Identifies key 5G use cases for Central America.
- Learn about the five-year subscription forecast for 5G.
Key questions answered
- When will Central America get on the 5G map?
- Which Central American country will be the first to get a 5G network?
- What will be the key factors influencing 5G in Central America?
- When will we see significant uptake of 5G in Central America?
Table of contents
Central America market status
Central America has traditionally been slow to take up new technologies
Market status and 5G announcements in Central America
Key 5G use cases for Central America
The success and growth of 5G in Central America will be influenced by key factors such as affordability, coverage, and utility
By 2020 5G will become a reality for Central America but will only start picking up pace by 2023
Central America can wait for 5G but still needs faster data now