This report identifies and discusses the key trends in OTT video in 2020.
- The year 2020 will be a significant milestone, because four new major services will together add 15 million new subscriptions to an already saturated US streaming market.
- Next year marks the beginning of a period that will be characterized by tougher times for local services that are already struggling to compete with US major services.
- Next-generation OTT video services will also further disrupt broadcast TV and pay TV as more viewing time is moved from traditional TV to online streaming.
Features and Benefits
- Assesses the impact of next-generation US major streaming services on existing OTT video markets
- Evaluates the emerging D2C SLIN segment against pay-TV SLIN on a global scale
Key questions answered
- How will Disney+, HBO Max, and other US major streaming services fare internationally?
- What will be the impact of new US major services on existing market leaders Netflix and Amazon?
Table of contents
Recommendations for service providers and platforms
Recommendations for content providers
Recommendations for technology vendors
Next-gen services such as Disney+ will initially focus on the US
International rollout will take years
US OTT video market goes into hyperdrive in 2020
2020 will be characterized by consolidation
Tougher times ahead will force cross-service partnering
Consolidate or be forever doomed to chase minority shares
In 2020, more customers will buy pay-TV SLINs than will buy Disney+
Substantial demand for pay-TV SLIN, despite D2C hype
Despite the move to OTT, TV has remarkable staying power