This reports looks at how video gateways in the home will evolve in 2019, and what that will mean for service providers and vendors.
- As media streamer sales decline, vendors will integrate smart features into other TV products.
- Voice control will start to sit more prominently alongside the remote control.
- STBs and media streamers will support the growth and evolution of 4K content.
Features and Benefits
- Identifies key consumer tech trends to watch out for in 2019
- Predicts the rise of smart set-top boxes and streamers
- Makes recommendations for service providers, vendors, and content providers
Key questions answered
- Is Google expected to dominate operator partnerships in the deployment of set-top boxes based on Android TV?
- Who do media streamer vendors need to target to steady sales?
- When is it best to invest in 4K-compatible equipment?
Table of contents
Recommendations for technology vendors
Recommendations for service providers and platforms
Recommendations for content providers
Android TV will have 80-plus pay-TV partners by Google I/O 2019
New telco-TV operators will flock to Android TV
App usage on TVs will become more commonplace
Voice control of STBs will become more popular
Voice and remote control: coexistence will become the norm
Voice control will change how content is accessed
4K STBs will be central to the impending boom in UHD content
4K STBs will be driving the evolution to UHD
The premium 4K boom will attract investments across the video value chain – but not everywhere
As media streamer sales slow, vendors will be forced to get creative
Media streamer sales will begin to decline across mature markets
White-label solutions and feature integrations are the way forward