The optical industry continues to progress in 2018 while being impacted by macro mergers and trade issues.
- Product shipments for 400G have moved briskly in 2018. Ovum expects that in 2019 the single-channel programmable 600G optics market will address reduced costs and power requirements per bit.
- Market consolidation and trade issues impacted the market in 2018, and Ovum expects both issues to continue to impact 2019.
- 5G architecture and deep-fiber requirements will begin to materially impact the optical network in 2019, and vendors need to address this opportunity or be left behind.
Features and Benefits
- Evaluates the trends related to 400G.
- Identifies the opportunity of 5G backhaul.
- Evaluates the recent mergers and partnerships.
Key questions answered
- What has been driving market share growth in WDM since 2014?
- How important is coherent optics to success?
- What are the drivers in backhaul?
Table of contents
Innovation continues to drive success
Scale requires consolidation
Consolidation sped up in 2018
US, China and the rest of the world
600G systems are arriving
Ciena will have competition in 2019
400G+ market will continue to ramp
5G transport develops
5G build begins in pockets
5G build drives investment