This is an update of Zain Group's activities, covering mobile, fixed broadband, operator initiatives, and consumer market trends.
- Zain Group recorded consolidated revenue of $1.3bn in 1Q19, up 54% YoY. EBITDA for the quarter was $586m, up 108% YoY, with an EBITDA margin of 44%. Net income amounted to $155m, up 14% YoY with Zain Kuwait representing 45% of total group net income. Total group capex was $91m owing to substantial investments in network upgrades and expansion.
- Group data revenue (excluding SMS and VAS) increased 118% YoY. This growth is predominantly due to the consolidation of Zain Saudi Arabia results, and growth in enterprise data-related revenue contributing to this growth.
- Zain highlighted data monetization and revenue diversification activities to support the group's digital aspirations, including infrastructure optimization, enterprise and smart city initiatives, investment in fintech, and e-health services trials.
Features and Benefits
- Evaluates Zain's 1Q19 operational and financial performance.
- Analyzes the group's strategic initiatives and key developments over the year to end-1Q19.
Key questions answered
- What markets continue to be difficult for Zain, and why?
- How is Zain developing its digital stategy and services to combat the competitive pressures it is facing?
Table of contents
Download 1: Zain Update, June 2019