This report looks at changes in the encryption market, both in terms of delivery and the companies offering the technology. It also considers the challenge of quantum computing.
- The next big challenge is already on the horizon, namely quantum computing and its ability to break all leading asymmetric encryption methods.
Features and Benefits
- Describes how the encryption market has evolved in recent years.
- Explains the two approaches to solving the quantum computing challenge to encryption.
Key questions answered
- What is quantum key distribution?
- How does quantum key distribution differ from post-quantum cryptography?
Table of contents
Recommendations for enterprises
Recommendations for service providers
Data breaches make the case for encryption
The breach tsunami advances unabated
Data security is mandated by the failures of edge and core
However, encryption has its challenges
Encryption is still not widely deployed
Custodians may be lax, but encryption is also hard and costly
The cloud and mobile change everything
The range of locations for data expands the attack surface
Delivering encryption from the cloud is also an opportunity
The competitive landscape is evolving
There has been steady M&A activity in HSM and encryption
New startups are emerging in cloud-based encryption
Quantum is the risk on the horizon
Quantum key distribution