This spreadsheet projects unit sales, installed base, and revenues for consumer wearable devices through 2022. The forecasts now include breakdowns by country, region, smartness index, and device type (activity trackers, multipurpose devices, or smart clothing and accessories).
- Ovum expects annual wearable device sales to reach 234 million units by 2022. Revenues generated from direct sale of wearable devices to consumers will reach up to $12bn in 2022, up from $9.8bn in 2017.
- The market is currently dominated by activity trackers, which represent 66% of the installed base at the end of 2017. However, this is set to change with multipurpose devices and fashion items together making up almost 50% of the installed base in 2022.
- Multipurpose devices, including smart watches and smart glasses, offer additional software revenue opportunities via a dedicated app ecosystem that could serve up to 120 million installed devices by the end of 2022.
Features and Benefits
- Quantifies the opportunities in the wearable market.
- Assesses the technology evolution of activity trackers, multipurpose wearables, and smart clothes.
Key questions answered
- What is the size of the consumer wearables market?
- How will the adoption of high-end wearable devices grow in different regions?
- Which countries have the highest wearables penetration?
Table of contents
Download 1: Wearables Unit Sales, Installed Base, and Hardware Revenue Forecasts: 2017–22