Analysis of Ovum’s 1Q18 wearable devices tracker – a database that tracks over 600 wearable devices launched or announced since 2011. A total of 30 wearable devices were launched in 4Q17–1Q18, a slight YoY decrease from the 35 launches in 4Q16–1Q17.
- The majority of all launches across this half were Smartness Index 3 (devices that have screens and on which apps can be installed but which need a smartphone to operate). This proportion was relatively consistent across both quarters at 53% of 4Q17's 17 launches and 54% of 1Q18's 13 launches.
Features and Benefits
- Analyzes the key launches from a smartness, pricing, and use case perspective.
- Assesses upcoming trends and players that can capitalize on them.
Key questions answered
- Which key players are launching devices in the fashion, mixed reality (VR/AR), and fitness space?
- What are the key year-on-year pricing, use case, and production trends in the industry?
- Which major operating systems are used on the wearable devices?
Table of contents
4Q17–1Q18 launches show a trend toward the high end of the medium price band
Fossil continues to dominate the fashion wearables market
New trends include smart apparel and VR/AR