Total US wireless connections stood at 487.33 million at end-2Q19, up from 479.76 million at end-1Q19 and 473.66 million at end-4Q18. Prepaid subscriptions fell to 75.68 million at end-2Q19 from 75.72 million at end-1Q19 and 75.80 million at end-4Q18.
- There is a pending deal where T-Mobile/Sprint, after their merger closes, will sell Boost, Virgin Mobile, and Sprint-branded prepaid customers to Dish Network who will then become an MVNO on the merged company’s network. T-Mobile/Sprint will keep the Assurance Wireless brand.
- Tracfone’s Straight Talk brand offers both device leasing, through “Smart Pay,” and device purchase financing, through “Affirm,” neither of which are typical offerings from MVNOs.
Features and Benefits
- Learn about prepaid subscriber year-on-year growth trends by major US operators.
- Compare year-on-year total, postpaid, and prepaid subscriber and market share trends by operator
- Compare US operator KPIs and major activities in the quarter, especially as they relate to prepaid.
Key questions answered
- What is the customer segment mix by US operator in 1Q19 and 2Q19?
- How did prepaid churn rates in 1Q19 and 2Q19 compare across US operators and how have they changed over the past five quarters?
- What are developments in the area of bring your own device (BYOD)?
Table of contents
Download 1: US Prepaid Update, September 2019