German trade association BVMI has reported the best midyear music sales performance for more than 20 years.
- Streaming registered a positive six months despite a slower growth rate than in the prior-year period. Buy-to-own formats also had a better half year with the rate of decline in sales of CD albums and downloads notably less severe.
Features and Benefits
- Details German recorded-music retail sales in the first six months of 2019.
- Examines sales by format and source and assesses the likelihood of full-year growth.
Key questions answered
- What share of recorded-music retail sales in Germany comes from streaming?
- Will retail sales of recorded music return to growth this year after two straight years of decline?
Table of contents
Consumption transition dents German sales growth
Audio streaming the dominant revenue source
Streaming ascent points to longer-term growth