IBM Watson Studio, in which IBM Data Refinery data prep capabilities are embedded, is a single environment and user interface (UI) for data cataloging, data science, and data prep, which caters to multiple end-user personas.
- Data Refinery is an embedded component of IBM Watson Studio and is also accessible through IBM Watson Knowledge Catalog, an intelligent cataloging service available independently or through seamless integration with Watson Studio.
- Data Refinery's embedded nature in IBM Watson Studio and Watson Knowledge Catalog centralizes control for IT and enables many compliance-ready features out of the box.
- Having entered the self-service data prep market relatively recently, IBM has some catching up to do on granular functionality. However, its platform approach is its strength.
Features and Benefits
- Assesses the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats associated with IBM Data Refinery.
- Evaluates IBM's embedded platform approach to data prep functionality, and identifies the possible benefits.
- Identifies IBM Watson Studio's and IBM Data Refinery's capabilities for data privacy and compliance initiatives.
- Evaluates the role of machine learning and AI in the guided user journey of self-service data prep, and assesses IBM's capabilities in this area.
- Analyzes IBM Data Refinery's capabilities for connectivity to various visualization and BI environments.
Key questions answered
- What are the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats of the IBM Data Refinery self-service data prep offering?
- How does IBM's platform approach to self-service data prep help operationalize data science within the enterprise?
- What are the governance capabilities of Watson Studio and Data Refinery, and how do these help meet regulatory compliance objectives?
- How does IBM Data Refinery compare to the broader self-service data prep market in terms of guided and machine-learning-driven functionality?
- How does the embedded IBM Data Refinery offering differ from standalone data prep tools?
Table of contents
Recommendations for enterprises
Why consider IBM Data Refinery?
Key facts about the solution