Music & Copyright's analysis of global genre sales shows just how the return to recorded-music good times has influenced sales of the most popular music genres.
- R&B/hip-hop in particular has benefited from the growth in streaming, with the genre's share of global retail sales more than doubling in just five years.
Features and Benefits
- Examines how the shift from ownership of recorded music to access has affected sales of different music genres.
- Explains the reason for hip-hop music's outperforming of the wider music market.
Key questions answered
- What was the biggest music genre in terms of retail sales last year?
- What share of global recorded-music retail sales was accounted for by hip-hop?
Table of contents
Measuring the effect of music access on genre sales
Pop and rock top the genre charts
The rise of the so-called smaller genres