Recorded-music leader UMG maintained the top spot, with an increase in both its physical and digital market shares in 2017. Second-placed SME suffered a dip in its recorded-music share, while smaller major WMG continued its upward trend and registered a share increase.
- UMG had a 29.7% share of combined physical and digital recorded-music trade revenue last year, up from 29% in 2016. For just digital revenue, UMG's share stood at 32%, while its physical share was 25.4%.
Features and Benefits
- Details the market share figures for the three major record companies and the independent sector.
- Assesses market shares for recorded music and music publishing.
Key questions answered
- Which record company registered the biggest market-share gain last year?
- What share of publishing revenue is accounted for by the independent sector?
Table of contents
UMG and WMG gain share at SME's expense
Greater scrutiny of digital market
Positive year for music publishing