Two years after the launch of Indian mobile entrant Reliance Jio in September 2016, Ovum is reviewing the operator's progress and its impact on India's telecommunications market.
- Two years after launch, in 1H18, RJio took a 20.5% share of the market's total mobile service revenue, putting it in the No. 2 place, after Bharti Airtel.
- The pan-Indian 4G provider has triggered a trend of heavy data use through its offer of unlimited data plans.
- In a highly competitive market, RJio's success is due to the operator's popular loyalty program, Prime Membership, launched in February 2017.
Features and Benefits
- Learn about RJio's impact on India's mobile market.
- Understand RJio's strategy and the steps it took to establish itself in a highly competitive market.
- Understand how a new entrant can have an impact on established incumbent operators.
Key questions answered
- How is Reliance Jio faring in the Indian mobile market?
- How has the industry been affected by RJio's launch, and what is the outlook?
Table of contents
RJio reaches 20.5% market share two years after launch
Triggering heavy data use with unlimited data plans
RJio's success hinges on Prime Membership loyalty program
Achieving scale by transforming the unaddressed feature-phone segment
Consolidating household spending on communications and entertainment services