Qualcomm held its third Snapdragon Tech Summit in Hawaii on December 4–6, 2018, during which it made a series of announcements set to shape the mobile industry for 2019 and beyond.
- A handful of 5G smartphones will come to market in 1H19. Samsung, Motorola, OnePlus, Xiaomi, Oppo, Vivo, and ZTE all confirmed their allegiance to Qualcomm for their 5G smartphones to be released in 2019.
- A new set of video capture features will be unleashed. Qualcomm released the world's first computer vision ISP, enabling video depth sensing at 60 frames per second (i.e., portrait mode for videos).
- Performance gains will be bigger than ever. The Snapdragon 855 has the largest ever CPU performance gain on the previous Snapdragon generation with a 45% increase, and 20% increase for the GPU.
Features and Benefits
- Identifies key handset features to appear in 2019 models such as 5G and AI.
- Sizes the upcoming 5G device ecosystem.
- Discusses various applications to emerge from 5G and vision AI.
Key questions answered
- Which Qualcomm-powered 5G devices will launch in 2019?
- What type of camera features will emerge in 2019?
Table of contents
Key announcements from the event
Samsung, Motorola, and OnePlus to bring 5G smartphones to market in 1H19
AI for computer vision is core to Snapdragon 855
3D volumetric content downloads and VR streaming to drive 5G use
5G laptops to come in 2019