As PON moves beyond FTTH to xHaul (MBH and/or MFH), its requirements change, leading to a proliferation of PON types and little likelihood for industry-wide convergence.
- We are seeing divergence among very large CSPs, leading to a proliferation of PON types including the already standardized NG-PON2, the to-be-standardized 50G PON, and currently nonstandard approaches including WDM PON
Features and Benefits
- This research note assesses the types of PON being explored to support 5G xHaul (mobile backhaul and mobile fronthaul)
- Learn about the different approaches and the reasons behind the different approaches for next-gen PON's nonresidential applications.
Key questions answered
- Why is the proliferation of PON types for xHaul?
- What are the challenges for using regular TDM-PON (GPON, EPON) for MBH and MFH?
- Which operators are looking at which types of PON?
Table of contents
Large-scale FTTH required standardization and second sources
xHaul is not the same as FTTH PON
There is already PON divergence but it will likely proliferate
Vendors must prepare for divergence in next-next-gen PON