This report offers a deep dive into Ovum’s latest update to the Mobile Handset Forecast. This edition examines the causes of slowing smartphone sales, 5G’s potential impact on the smartphone market, and whether Apple can revitalize its iPhone business.
- Over 10% of the smartphone sales in almost every country is currently pre-owned devices, which is depressing the market for new devices.
- While 5G take-up will be slower in each country compared to 4G, the broader worldwide uptake will cause 5G smartphone sales to grow more quickly globally than 4G.
- Foldable phones will not reinvigorate premium smartphone sales in 2019 or 2020, but will have an impact on the market in coming years.
Features and Benefits
- Identifies the causes behind the slowdown in smartphone sales and where this slowdown is felt the most.
- Evaluates the impact of pre-owned devices on both sales and the installed base of smartphones.
- Assesses the potential for smartphone growth in each region.
Key questions answered
- Can Apple's iPhone business recover from a poor 2018?
- Which manufacturers are best positioned to take advantage of the changing smartphone market?
- How is Google's Android Go program affecting the sub-$100 price category?
Table of contents
Download 1: Mobile Handset Forecast Report: 2018–23