Augmented reality (AR) is set to become a widespread feature on smartphones globally in 2018. This report examines Ovum’s AR forecast for smartphones and discusses the major trends affecting AR.
- AR will very rapidly spread through the smartphone installed base, providing a potential driver for mobile data. AR requires both high bandwidth and low latency, meaning it is a key use case for 5G. Operators need to stress AR to their customers and push AR experiences in store to encourage consumers to use what they have available to them.
- While AR will not be a distinguishing feature by itself for devices, manufacturers should use AR in their own apps to help build unique experiences for their users. Improving camera technology will also help make the AR experience better.
Features and Benefits
- Explores the detailed methodology behind Ovum's AR forecast.
- Analyzes the key factors driving the growth in AR addressable market and what stakeholders can do to exploit this opportunity.
Key questions answered
- How quickly will Android catch up to Apple's head start in augmented reality?
- How will the launch of 5G affect AR and vice versa?
Table of contents
Download 1: Mobile Augmented Reality Forecast Report, 2017–22