This is a new forecast that values the market for AR-enabled mobile apps, which are apps that make use of augmented reality (AR) both as the core of their functionality or as just a feature. The value is measured in terms of end-user spend revenue transacted via app stores and is segmented by ecosystem – both by app store (Apple App Store, Google Play, other app stores) and by OS (iOS, Android, other OS).
- 2019 will see mobile AR app revenue transacted via app stores far exceed that achieved at the height of the Pokémon Go fever in 2016.
- As a share of total mobile games revenue, AR apps will grow from just 3.2% globally in 2019 to 13.5% in 2024. With games hogging the lion's share of mobile AR app revenue, AR apps' portion of nongaming revenue will reach only 4.2% by the end of the forecast period.
- Geographically, mobile AR app revenue has been largely concentrated in North America and Western Europe over the past three years, but Asia-Pacific is starting to dominate, more closely mirroring the pattern seen in the wider apps market.
Features and Benefits
- Find out which ecosystem will be generating the most app store transacted mobile AR revenue over the next five years.
- Find out how the split between games and nongaming AR app revenue will evolve over time.
Key questions answered
- Which app ecosystems will be generating the most app store transacted mobile AR revenue over the next five years?
- How will the split between games and nongaming AR app revenue evolve over time?
Table of contents
Download 1: Mobile AR App Revenue Forecast: 2019–24