This report looks at the latest market trends in open RAN and virtual RAN solutions and how they might affect the established base station market.
- Opening the interfaces in the base station will create a window for newer, and smaller, RAN vendors to eat away at the major RAN vendors' market share.
Features and Benefits
- Discusses recent announcements involving open RAN and virtual RAN at MWC 2018.
- Explains why some operators are hesitant to adopt open RAN and virtual RAN.
Key questions answered
- Who are the winners and losers in open RAN and virtual RAN?
- How long until open RAN and virtual RAN start to be adopted by mobile operators?
Table of contents
Open RAN and vRAN are related but not the same
Open RAN and vRAN were big stories at MWC 2018
Hopes of cost savings, flexibility, best of breed, and 5G are driving interest
Open RAN and vRAN present several challenges
Limited near-term impact on RAN market
Open RAN and vRAN will separate BBU and radio sales opportunities
How open RAN and vRAN could change the market landscape