Massive MIMO will be widely adopted in 5G networks, but its deployment will be concentrated in those areas where the greatest improvements in coverage and capacity are possible.
- Vendors report that 5G performance gains with massive MIMO can be significantly greater than those achieved with 4G when using the same frequency band, under the same conditions.
- Unit shipments of massive MIMO for 5G are already growing significantly. Deployments in the mid band frequencies are typically using 32TR or 64TR massive MIMO antenna arrays.
Features and Benefits
- Sets out which variants of massive MIMO are being used, in which scenarios, and with which bands.
- Details what progress is being made in both the technical performance of massive MIMO, and in its deployment in commercial networks.
Key questions answered
- How are advances in beamforming helping to enhance performance in massive MIMO systems?
- How are vendors developing their antenna products in order to support massive MIMO and 5G?
Table of contents
Massive MIMO is supporting the transition from 4G to 5G
Massive MIMO adoption for 5G
Progress on TDD and FDD
Massive MIMO performance and challenges
Massive MIMO vendor updates