Wireline broadband access equipment revenue was strong again in 2018 at $8.7bn for the year, matching 2017 revenue despite ZTE's suspended operations for several months. Revenue for 4Q18 was unchanged sequentially and unchanged year on year (YoY).
- PON equipment revenue will remain strong through at least 2024 as operators continue to build and upgrade fiber access networks to support residential services, business services, and 5G mobile transport.
- DSL/Gfast equipment revenue will continue to struggle, even though 35b and Gfast deployments are gaining momentum in selected countries.
- Although CMTS/CCAP had a difficult quarter, equipment revenue will remain strong through 2024 as cable operators continue to upgrade equipment.
Features and Benefits
- Summarizes full-year 2018 market share for wireline access equipment vendor revenues and units.
- Evaluates the uptake in next-gen PON equipment shipments.
- Assesses the state of the xDSL/Gfast market.
- The overall CMTS/CCAP equipment market and its vendors are reviewed.
Key questions answered
- What is the state of the wireline access equipment market? Did it grow or remain the same compared to 2017? Which segments grew?
- Are PON ONTs/ONUs continuing to ship in quantity?
- Did Gfast equipment shipments offset the decline in ADSL, VDSL, and SHDSL equipment?
- Which vendors gained share in CMTS/CCAP equipment shipments?
Table of contents
2018 results and market share
2018 held steady thanks to PON
Nokia and Huawei gained share
FTTx PON results and market share changes
4Q18 and 2018 PON revenue was strong
FTTx PON market share and changes
4Q18 and 2018 FTTx PON equipment revenue
2018 FTTx PON shipments
DSL/Gfast results and market share changes
Total 2018 revenue declined significantly, even though Gfast revenue more than doubled
DSL market share and changes
2018 DSL/Gfast shipments
DSL product-level analysis by region and vendor
CMTS/CCAP results and market share changes
Annual revenue just over $1bn after a poor 4Q18
CMTS/CCAP market share and changes for 2018 versus 2017
2018 CMTS/CCAP channel shipments