This research note covers some of the highlights of Ovum's recently updated five-year RAN forecast. The radio access network (RAN) remains one of the largest capital outlays for mobile operators. Ovum estimates the 2018 market was approximately $32.7bn. Most of this revenue came from communication service providers.
- In 2018, the RAN market did something it had not done in several years: it grew. In 2018, investments in RAN gear and software exceeded the previous year's investments. Ovum believes this trend will continue through 2022.
- From 2018 through 2024, LTE and 5G will account for almost all RAN investments. Ovum estimates in 2018 only 5% of market expenditure was on 2G and 3G.
Features and Benefits
- Learn how major markets such as the US and China will impact the future of RAN investments.
- Get insights into why the RAN market has returned to growth.
Key questions answered
- How big is the RAN market in terms of revenues and what is the outlook for the next five years?
- When will revenue growth slow and decline?
Table of contents
Growth returns in 2018 and should continue through 2022
It will take several more years before 5G investments overtake LTE
China quickly goes all-in on 5G