Ovum's IoT Enterprise Survey 2019/20 provides insights from 1,746 enterprises in 15 countries – Australia, Brazil, China, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Malaysia, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Taiwan, the UK, and the US. Participants were enterprises that are currently deploying or contracted to deploy IoT.
- IoT is a success story for enterprises, but adoption rates are still less than 30% of enterprises in most markets, rising to 41% in China.
- More than half (56%) of enterprises said improving efficiency and productivity was a top three IoT goal for them, while 49% put improving product or service quality in their top three and 37% chose cost savings. Some 40% of enterprises identified ensuring data, network, and device security as one of their top challenges in successfully deploying IoT.
- Just under half of enterprises (49%) say that asset tracking, connected security, or asset monitoring is the most important (or "anchor") IoT application they’re deploying. Some 85% of enterprises deploying IoT now are interested in adding more IoT applications or use cases in the future.
Features and Benefits
- Assesses eight IoT industry verticals: transport/fleet, logistics/supply chain management, manufacturing/industrial/extractive industries, healthcare, energy and utilities, retail and hospitality, agriculture, and public sector.
- Evaluates the most important drivers and challenges for enterprises deploying IoT.
- Identifies the leading providers of IoT services and solutions through enterprise reporting on who their main IoT contract is with.
- Quantifies IoT project volume and investment for enterprises across three regions and globally.
- Identifies key current IoT technology trends and interest in future IoT-adjacent technologies.
Key questions answered
- What are the major goals and challenges for enterprises deploying IoT?
- What choices are enterprises making when choosing technologies and suppliers for IoT, and what is driving those decisions?
- How big are typical IoT deployments globally and in different regions and how much are companies spending on IoT this year and next year?
- What are the most common IoT use cases being deployed globally and in different verticals, and which applications are enterprises planning to deploy in future?
Table of contents
Download 1: IoT Enterprise Insight Survey 2019/2020 – Summary Report