Digital transformation efforts are well underway for the majority of enterprise organizations. However, it will be the operationalization of data-driven enterprise initiatives, rather than the simple digitization of existing processes, that provides transformative business potential.
- Operationalization is technology-agnostic and aims to optimize enterprise-wide processes so that maximum business value can be derived from data.
- The competitive advantages of digital transformation efforts will be dependent on successful operationalization of data-driven initiatives.
- Technology tools are necessary, but not sufficient, to achieve operationalization of data-driven initiatives. People, process, and technology must be orchestrated.
Features and Benefits
- Identifies a working definition for the concept of "operationalization," and evaluates how this definition applies to data-driven initiatives in the enterprise.
- Analyzes current data measuring the progress of digital transformation and enterprise-wide data leverage in businesses around the world.
- Compares the concepts of digital transformation and operationalization, defining their relationship and identifying dependencies.
- Identifies the three categories of a data-driven culture, and evaluates the role of each in achieving operationalization of data-driven initiatives.
- Identifies practical steps that may be taken by the enterprise toward operationalization of a data science initiative.
Key questions answered
- What is the definition of "operationalization," and what does it apply to?
- How is operationalization instrumental in helping the enterprise achieve the objectives of digital transformation?
- How advanced, statistically, are enterprise organizations in their efforts to exploit the value of data across the business?
- What are the elements of a data-driven culture, and how must these elements contribute to operationalization?
- What would be an example of an operationalized data-driven initiative, and what would be the steps taken to achieve it?
Table of contents
Recommendations for enterprises
Recommendations for vendors
Operationalization maximizes the value of data
Creating a working definition for "operationalization"
Operationalization is a technology-agnostic concept
Enabling all workers to drive business value through data
Digital transformation relies on operationalization
Enterprise-wide data leverage is a goal of digital transformation
Most have not yet achieved enterprise-wide data leverage
Operationalization is critical to enterprise-wide data leverage
Enterprise-wide data leverage: A promise we have heard before?
Technology tools are necessary, but not sufficient
Data-driven culture is defined by people, process, technology
Operationalization scales infrastructure and processes
What operationalization looks like: A hypothetical case study