This report provides an overview of total European wholesale revenue and the shares of the leading players in 2016 and 2017.
- Ovum's annual analysis of the European wholesale market estimates that wholesale revenue totaled €44.3bn ($49.9bn) in 2017.
- Although a wide variety of players offer wholesale services in Europe, our analysis shows that the same few carriers continue to dominate the market.
- In 2017, Orange was the leading wholesaler in the region by revenue, overtaking BT, which was impacted by the decline in value of the British pound against the Euro for the second year in a row.
Features and Benefits
- Estimates the size of the European wholesale market based on analysis of the reported revenues of the 26 leading players.
- Identifies leading wholesale providers in Europe in 2016 and 2017 based on their revenues, and analyzes changes in their market shares.
- Reports how revenues are changing in each of the European wholesale telecoms market sectors (fixed voice, fixed non-voice, and mobile wholesale).
Key questions answered
- How large was the total European wholesale market in 2017 and what was the share of each of the leading players?
- How did the revenues of leading players in the European wholesale market change between 2016 and 2017, and why?
- How have the shares of leading players in the European wholesale market changed since 2003?
Table of contents
European wholesale market
Overall market size
The top players and their market shares
Wholesale market leaders
Highest European wholesale revenue
Dependency on wholesale revenue
What has changed?
Changes in the European wholesale market sectors
Changes in the European wholesale market since 2003
Exchange rates used