This spreadsheet projects unit sales for eSIM-compatible smartphones, tablets, wearables, and other portable devices for the 2019–24 period. Forecasts are provided for major regional markets.
- Ovum expects the eSIM market to grow from 81 million to just over 1 billion device unit sales between 2019 and 2024.
- Smartphones have overtaken watches and tablets as easily the largest eSIM device segment, driven almost entirely by Apple's latest iPhones. Smartphones accounted for 81% of all eSIM sales in 2019. By 2022, this will have risen to 93%.
- Despite eSIM-enabled smartphones reaching more than 900m sales in 2024, this will still only represent less than 50% of all smartphone sales. eSIM will make up almost all cellular connectable tablet and wearables sales by 2024 though this will be a small share of the overall market for these devices.
Features and Benefits
- Evaluates the size of the eSIM-compatible device market.
- Compares eSIM technology adoption across multiple device segments and regions.
Key questions answered
- How many smartphones sold will eSIM compatible in the next five years?
- What is the share of wearables that will feature eSIM technology in the next five years?
Table of contents
Download 1: eSIM Device Sales Forecast: Smartphones, Tablets, and Wearables, 2019–24