This is one of a series of operator profiles analyzing the digital strategies of leading global operators. It details partnerships and acquisitions, internal structures, and digital service offerings.
- SKT's growth strategy is based on ongoing investment in its network. In addition to the rollout of high-speed wireless and wireline data networks, SKT has identified several other investment priorities designed to strengthen its offer across the ICT ecosystem.
- Media, IoT, and AI have emerged strongly as SKT builds focus on ICT. SKT has strengthened its focus on transforming to a digital services enabler by building its own ICT ecosystem. Investments in artificial intelligence, big data, the Internet of Things (IoT), and cloud have also benefited SKT, as its media platform, IoT, and AI business are getting traction among consumer segments.
- SKT has a strong hold on digital service segments including e-commerce, over-the-top video, digital music, healthcare, location-based services, mobile apps, and social networking. Contribution of the operator's digital business (including e-commerce, app portals, and content) has been low in the sub-10% range of the operator's overall revenues.
Features and Benefits
- Assesses SKT's digital strategy and identifies its main priorities for digital consumer services.
- Describes digital service developments and deployments at SKT.
- Explains how CSPs can develop alternative revenue channels and offset declines from traditional communications business.
- Reveals the core to SKT's success as a digital service provider.
Key questions answered
- What are SKT's key focus areas in the digital services segment?
- What are SK Telecom's short-term and long-term goals for digital transformation?
- How is SKT's digital business performing and what strategies have resulted in success?
- What are SKT's short-term and long-term goals for digital transformation?
Table of contents
Digital service development
Transforming to a digital service enabler by building an ICT ecosystem
Venture capital and incubation
Digital revenues and prospects