This report is one of a series of studies of the digital strategies of major operators around the world. This profile assesses MTN's digital strategy, its digital-service developments and deployments, and the performance of and prospects for the group's digital businesses.
- MTN has continued to implement its digital strategy by focusing on enhancing its data connectivity and new services. MTN realized that it faced the challenge of low data coverage across its footprint market, and aims to bridge the connectivity challenge through constant investment in 3G and 4G network expansion across all markets.
- MTN has faced several regulatory challenges which it has and continues to resolve amicably with the relevant regulatory authorities. Hopefully, MTN has picked key lessons on how to avoid regulatory disputes on matters relating to how it conducts its business as it seeks to become the leading digital operator in Africa in the future.
- MTN has continued to focus on its mobile and fixed broadband, and smartphone strategies as the main enablers for the development and uptake of digital services across its operations. The group is also keen to promote its mobile financial services proposition which is key to the monetization of its digital offering.
Features and Benefits
- This profile assesses MTN Group's digital strategy, its digital-service developments and deployments, and the group’s digital businesses.
- The report identifies the key drivers to MTN Group's digital services segment in 2019.
Key questions answered
- What are the key highlights for MTN Group's "Bold New Digital World" digital strategy since its launch in 2012?
- What will drive the growth of MTN Group's "Bold New Digital World" digital strategy in 2019?
Table of contents
Progress to resolve regulatory challenges
High potential for growth
Digital services development
Mobile and fixed broadband
Mobile digital advertising
Digital strategy results
Growth in e-commerce
Future strategic focus