This profile assesses Millicom's digital strategy, its digital service developments and deployments, and the performance of and prospects for the group's digital businesses.
- Even though Millicom missed the five-year revenue target it set for itself in 2012 under the "digital lifestyle" strategy, Ovum believes the strategy has paid off well for the operator as it has evolved during the last five years as a digital services provider.
- Millicom has been able to achieve success in its aim to increase revenue from digital services. Its revenue from data and other digital services has increased considerably from since it launched the digital lifestyle strategy in 2013.
- Millicom has a successful mobile business, a rapidly growing pay-TV unit, and a well-established fixed services business. It has got itself a base to further expand its presence in other Latin American markets as it competes with players such as Telefónica and América Móvil that already have a wide market reach in the region.
Features and Benefits
- Assesses Millicom's journey as it transforms into a digital player.
- Describes Millicom's digital service developments and deployments.
Key questions answered
- What are the motivations to invest in a digital strategy?
- What are Millicom's key developments in digital services?
Table of contents
Millicom's digital journey
Millicom is a specialist telco for developing countries
Millicom shifts its focus toward Latin America
Millicom maintains a steady revenue growth across markets
Digital strategy and services development
Millicom seeks alternative revenue sources through digital services
Monetizing mobile data
Innovations in pay TV
Expanding B2B services
Mobile financial services
Artificial intelligence (AI)