In 2Q19, Ovum commissioned an online survey focused on consumer technology ownership. The survey sampled 6,201 consumers in June 2019 across China, France, Germany, Spain, the UK, and the US gauging attitudes toward/usage of TV devices.
- Pay-TV users are more likely to have smart applications than non-pay-TV users.
- Netflix has a clear, data privacy-compliant value proposition which consumers appreciate.
- Voice is important, but it's omnipresence means it doesn't affect consumer TV device preference.
Features and Benefits
- Identifies areas of opportunity for operators, content providers, and TV vendors.
- Compares TV internet connection types (via STB, media streamer, or smart TV) across countries.
- Assesses drivers for STB, media streamer, and smart TV usage.
- Analyzes consumer purchase intent for a range of real and hypothetical screen-based devices (e.g., Facebook display, Netflix-made TV).
Key questions answered
- What are the areas of opportunity for operators, content providers, and TV vendors?
- How can content providers leverage advancements in key features (e.g., voice)?
- What should operators focus on to meet the evolving viewing habits of pay TV users?
- How can media streamer vendors differentiate between new generations of smart devices?
Table of contents
Download 1: Digital Consumer Insights: Connected TV Devices