In this report, Ovum assesses the main features of the B2C, B2B2x, and B2B services that will be supported by 5G; the changes in the partner ecosystem these new services will require; and consumer attitudes toward service usage and payment.
- Finally, 5G is here. Its fundamentals promise CSPs new sources of revenue, new opportunities, and new ways to delight their customers: 100× bandwidth, 10× throughput, 10× reduction in latency, 1000× partners.
- These are normally organized around three core services, known as enhanced mobile broadband (eMBB) and fixed-wireless access (FWA), ultra-high reliability and low latency (URLLC), and massive (IoT) connectivity (MTC).
- To achieve the full benefits of scalability and business agility, operators will need to adopt DevOps and CI/CD models as well as make the transition to microservices.
Features and Benefits
- Assesses the main features of the B2C, B2B2x, and B2B services that will be supported by 5G
- Describes the changes in the partner ecosystem these new services will require.
- Discusses consumer attitudes toward service usage and payment
Key questions answered
- What are the optimum timelines for adoption?
- What are the key consumer and enterprise business cases?
- What enabling platform and operations changes are required for 5G monetization?
Table of contents
Time to money: 2019 will see 5G's consumer debut, paving the way for B2B opportunities
5G monetization requires platforms able to support complex (B2B2x) partnership models from the outset
5G monetization in B2C: CSPs must capitalize on an ever-expanding ecosystem of devices
Enhancing the eMBB business model: beyond data
The FWA business model: beyond fixed broadband access
5G monetization in B2B: CSPs will not be able to identify all winning use cases
A horizontal strategy permits CSPs to apply the 5G core capabilities at scale
Enabling platform and operations changes required for 5G monetization
Monetization platforms will need to support multiple scenarios
Operations changes required to support 5G monetization