Messaging apps have seen a surge in consumer use during the COVID-19 pandemic, for communicating, sharing content, seeking information, and engaging with businesses and service providers.
- Total global messaging traffic from mobile apps will grow at a higher year-on-year rate in 2020 than in the previous two years because of the impact of COVID-19.
- Omdia also forecasts that growth in photo and video messaging from mobile apps will be higher than growth in text messaging: video messaging traffic will almost double in 2020 because of the pandemic, and picture messaging traffic will grow over 70% year on year.
Features and Benefits
- This news analysis assesses the impact of COVID-19 on messaging app traffic, across text, picture, and video messaging.
- The report identifies the key factors driving growth in messaging app traffic during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Key questions answered
- How will mobile messaging app traffic grow over the next five years, beyond COVID-19?
- Why won't mobile messaging app traffic users grow at the same rate as messaging app traffic during the COVID-19 pandemic?
- What is driving growth in messaging app traffic during the COVID-19 pandemic?
Table of contents
Mobile messaging apps will continue to cement their position as core communications services during the pandemic
COVID-19 restrictions will bump up all messaging app traffic in 2020 and beyond
Figure1: COVID-19 drives growth of over 40% in mobile messaging app traffic in 2020
Be alert to further innovation in messaging apps