This report covers 5G developments in Africa. 5G became a reality in Africa in 2018, when Vodacom said it had launched the continent's first commercial 5G service in Lesotho. Although lack of access to spectrum for 5G continues to hold up 5G launches in the key market of South Africa, several operators have unveiled 5G plans in recent months, and commercial launches are expected from 2019.
- Spectrum availability is key to 5G launches. The deployment of 5G in Africa will in great part depend on spectrum availability.
Features and Benefits
- Assess broadband technology migration in Africa.
- Evaluate when 5G will take off in Africa.
Key questions answered
- When and where will 5G take off in Africa?
- What are the use cases for 5G in Africa?
Table of contents
Africa 5G market dynamics
5G announcements accelerate in 2H18
Key 5G use cases in Africa
Potential in fixed broadband access
5G outlook in Africa
Activities concentrated in Southern Africa