This reports collates Ovum's 4K data for TV and consumer technology and analyzes the data and operator strategies for UHD at global and regional levels.
- There is a glut of 4K TVs in the market. This has pushed down prices of TV sets globally. As a result, many households globally are purchasing a 4K TV set, even when there is not sufficient 4K content to interact with.
- There will be 39 million premium 4K pay-TV subscriptions in 2022; however, there will be 901 million 4K households, which indicates that the 4K hardware market is heavily underserved by the 4K content market.
- 4K will be driving most STB replacements, especially for large premium DTH operators in North America, Europe, and Southeast Asia.
Features and Benefits
- Describes the present state of play in the global 4K hardware and content market.
- Evaluates operators' monetization strategies for 4K hardware and content.
- Compares content across online and traditional broadcast.
Key questions answered
- How will the 4K device ecosystem grow over the next five years?
- How will 4K subscriptions grow over the next five years?
- How will 4K content grow over the next five years?
- What recommendations does Ovum have for operators, content providers, and vendors regarding UHD?
- Where is 4K growing the fastest, and where do the largest opportunities lie for players across the value chain?
Table of contents
Download 1: 4K TV Ecosystem Report