Consolidation is acting as a driver for service provider transformations in India. Operators are scaling investments to build end-to-end cloud-native architecture, reinforcing confidence in the Indian telecommunications market.
- Launching 5G in 2020 is too ambitious for Indian operators. Although there is huge enthusiasm among service providers as they transform their core networks to support 5G, the deployment timetable depends on the government’s policy for awarding spectrum in prime 5G midbands.
- Operators have been seeking out major deals to maintain relevance in a new market reality and are not afraid of joining hands to merge their tower and fiber assets to improve the state of underlying infrastructure.
- Value co-creation through partnerships is driving ARPU growth. Service providers are leveraging premium and exclusive content acquired through multiple service partnerships to drive customer value.
Features and Benefits
- Learn how service providers are preparing to meet the growing demand for data in India.
- Learn about operators' 5G launch plans and readiness.
- Identify new opportunities created for vendors in a transforming telecoms and media market.
Key questions answered
- Will India have 5G in 2020?
- What are the trends supporting the need for service provider network transformations?
- What role is content playing in service provider video strategies?
- How are service providers evaluating their asset portfolios?
- How ready are service providers for converged service offerings?
Table of contents
Recommendations for service providers
Network transformations are aimed at cost savings and 4G capacity gains
Despite rapid network transformation, India may not launch 5G alongside peers
5G rollout priorities to become clear as field trials start in 2H19
Meanwhile capacity and coverage enhancements on 4G will continue to play an important role
Partnerships are important on service providers path to recovery
Asset-sharing models to become common as service providers review their asset portfolios
Converged offerings to arrive soon
Leading incumbents are ready to offer multiplay services
Pay-TV strategies aim at integrating linear and on-demand content
OTT providers focus on viewer-to-subscriber conversion
Hotstar improves subscriber conversions through upselling and exclusive content