Ovum has identified three trends set to impact the operations of players across the value chain as they look to maximize digital advertising’s value for platform owners, advertisers, and consumers.
- The battle for the TV screen will evolve and intensify. Connected TVs will grow their share of ad-supported video on demand (AVOD) revenue in 2019 as more consumers use them to watch a growing amount of video content.
- Out-stream will drive growth, but in-stream will command higher video ad premiums. However, social media players and digital publishers will continue to look toward higher-value video ad units to drive monetization of non-video content.
- Amazon will drive the long-awaited convergence of digital advertising and e-commerce. Advertisers, of which concerns over measurement and return-on-investment continue to grow, will favor platforms that are able raise awareness and drive and fulfill purchases simultaneously.
Features and Benefits
- Identifies and assesses the impact of three trends set to shape the digital advertising and ad-funded OTT video market in 2019.
- Recommends how stakeholders can act now to ensure they are in the position to benefit from emerging digital advertising trends in 2019 and beyond.
Key questions answered
- How will the growth in connected TV usage and complexity impact the digital advertising market and wider TMT ecosystem?
- What impact will Amazon have on the digital advertising market in 2019, and how should other players react?
- How are the dynamics of the online video advertising segment evolving, and what impact will this have in 2019?
Table of contents
Recommendations for service providers and platforms
Recommendations for content providers
Recommendations for technology vendors
The battle for the TV screen will evolve and intensify
Connected TVs present opportunities beyond digital video ads
The battle for the living room will impact the whole TMT sector
Out-stream will drive growth, but in-stream will command higher video ad premiums
Facebook's dominance of the rapidly growing out-stream segment will fall
More video brings opportunities for content owners, ad tech vendors, and even network operators
Amazon will drive the long-awaited convergence of digital advertising and e-commerce
Only Amazon can offer the full package, from eyeing to buying
All digital ad players need to make their apps more "shoppable"